Over three quarters of sports viewers may change their TV provider, if certain sports channels were no longer featured, survey says

About The Authors

13th September 2017 16:35 - Media and PR

Over three quarters of sports viewers may change their TV provider, if certain sports channels were no longer featured, survey says: Conducted by Broadband Genie, the survey revealed that 78 per cent of sports viewers would consider changing or cancelling their TV subscription, if their provider no longer broadcasted their favourite sport.Over three quarters of sports viewers may change their TV provider, if certain sports channels were no longer featured, survey says

Out of the favourites, football came in at 74 per cent, followed by motorsport at 27 percent, then rugby and tennis, both of which were at 23 per cent.  

For those who have access to their favourite matches via their subscription package, 57 per cent agreed that sports channels are a strong influencing factor when choosing their TV provider. Additionally, over half of those that have access to sports channels said they have also subscribed to other TV packages.

In short, the survey asked people about their TV packages and focussed some questions on the importance of sports broadcasting, as many traditional TV broadcasters are under pressure to maintain sporting rights, due to high bidding expenses and emerging online competitors.

Out of 2,275 people, 61 per cent of survey respondents subscribed to a TV package, however the majority of the remaining 39 per cent said TV packages are too expensive.  

Commenting on the broadcasting market, Head of Strategy at Broadband Genie, Rob Hilborn, comments:

“Many [respondents] are subscribed to their services purely for sport content, leaving providers in a predicament: continue to spend record sums on securing these rights, or lose their subscribers to a competitor.”

“For a consumer, this could be the open door for getting their favourite sport at a lower cost. But equally the market could become even more dispersed, leaving sport fans needing even more services to get the content they want.” 

For the full research results, click here to visit Broadband Genie's website. 

Sign up for free insights from your sector…

Antispam code: 4289

Support Us..

We hope that you have found this article useful. This section is freely available for all to use. Please help support it by liking us or following us on our social media platforms:

Share this article..

For updated Media and PR insights please follow us on @DJS_Media_PR or use our RSS feed

Other Media and PR Research Findings

Other Latest Market Research Insights

© DJS Research 2017