Children afraid to cycle due to road safety worries, Brake finds

About The Authors

27th February 2015 17:41 - Sport, Leisure and Tourism

A recent survey by road safety charity, Brake, has found that a growing number of children are being deterred from cycling or walking due to Children afraid to cycle due to road safety worries, Brake findsroad safety fears.

The survey found that fears of the children’s parents put nearly half of the 1,301 children (aged 14 to 17) off cycling or walking.

Of the children surveyed, 41 per cent felt that the speed of traffic on the roads was excessively fast.

38 per cent identified a lack of safe routes, as the reason they choose not to cycle.

44 per cent had never cycled due to their fears and as a result, were missing out on the benefits of the sport.

Brake also discovered that 59 per cent disagreed that the speed limits of their area were too fast, and was potentially dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians on the route. The remaining 41 per cent agreed.

The deputy CEO of Brake, Julie Townsend said of the findings: "The fact that so many teenagers are being held back from walking and cycling by safety fears, in spite of its great benefits, is a shocking indictment of our road infrastructure."

The government has recently suggested changes to the Infrastructure Bill, which means the transport secretary will have to devise a “cycling and walking investment” for England. The proposal is currently going through Parliament.

Figures from the Department for Transport have highlighted that 35 pedestrians, aged 0 to 17 died on British roads in 2013, and a further 1,506 were profoundly injured.

9 children of the same age were killed in the same year.

Sign up for free insights from your sector…

Antispam code: 19820

Support Us..

We hope that you have found this article useful. This section is freely available for all to use. Please help support it by liking us or following us on our social media platforms:

Share this article..

For updated Sport, Leisure and Tourism insights please follow us on @DJS_Leisure or use our RSS feed

Other Sport, Leisure and Tourism Research Findings

Other Latest Market Research Insights

© DJS Research 2017