Tired drivers take risks, survey reveals

About The Authors

7th February 2017 12:54 - Automotive

Tired drivers take risks, survey reveals: According to new automotive market research by Voucher Codes Pro, approximately 20 per cent of motorists in Britain have admitted to almost falling asleep at the wheel.Tired drivers take risks, survey reveals

The survey findings also uncovered that more than 75 per cent of the respondents in the survey said that they had not stopped off at service station on an occasion when they feel sleepy behind the wheel, as they were running on a tight schedule.

The respondents were also asked whether they had ever fallen asleep whilst driving and 9 per cent stated that they had indeed. Of those who admitted to this, 68 per cent said that falling asleep behind the wheel had resulted in a crash.

The survey gathered the responses of 2,387 adults in Britain, all of whom held a valid UK driving licence and owned their own vehicle.

The first question which all respondents were asked was: ‘Do you frequently have to drive for more than three hours at a time?’ -  51 per cent said that they did. The participants were then asked if they had ever seen a warning sign about the dangers of driving whilst being tired – 91 per cent of the respondents said that they had seen such signs.

The respondents were also asked ‘Do you believe that drinking coffee or energy drinks help you stay awake at the wheel?’ – of the respondents 41 per cent did think this and the remaining 59 per cent disagreed.

When the respondents were asked the same thing about fresh air, 54 per cent said that they believe fresh air helps you stay awake at the wheel.

Perhaps shockingly nearly a quarter (23 per cent) of the respondents told the market researchers that they think continuing to drive keeps them awake as it “keeps their brain busy”.

Sign up for free insights from your sector…

Antispam code: 16493

Support Us...

We hope that you have found this article useful. This section is freely available for all to use. Please help support it by liking us or following us on our social media platforms:

Share this article...

For updated Automotive insights please follow us on @DJS_Automotive or use our RSS feed

Other Automotive Research Findings

Other Latest Market Research Insights

© DJS Research 2020