Eight in 10 football fans do not trust the sport’s governing bodies to run national games, reveals survey

About The Authors

7th July 2021 16:35 - Sport, Leisure and Tourism

Eight in 10 football fans do not trust the sport’s governing bodies to run national games: A survey has found that 80% of football fans have expressed concerns regarding football’s governing body’s ability to run the national game, leaving just 20% having trust in them.

The survey by Telegraph Sports was launched in response to the proposed ‘Super League’, as over 100,000 people signed a petition for new regulations; including Jamie Carragher and Gary Lineker.

When asked whether the Government should legislate to protect the football pyramid, 87% of participants said they believe it should, leaving just 13% believing the principle of relegation and promotion and the football pyramid is well protected. Furthermore, three in five fans believe there will not be an English professional football pyramid in 10 years’ time.

The survey also uncovered the fans’ opinions on their owner’s top priorities, with two in five stating the survival of other clubs and the football pyramid is of the most importance to their owners. On the other hand, just 3% of those surveyed said they believe their owners prioritise the cost of supporting their team, with 30% of fans feeling ignored or marginalised.

The fans were also asked their opinions on the most important issues facing football fans; two in five stated growing the financial value of their investment as a main issue, with just a third saying they feel protecting the long-term future of the club is important. Furthermore, just 13% stated sporting successes and enhancing their personal status and reputation as a main issue facing football fans.

Tom Greatrex, vice-chair of the Football Supporter’s Association, said: ‘The overwhelming majority of fans can see that football simply cannot be relied upon to regulate itself. Fans must have a meaningful position in boardrooms and within the power structures of the game to guard against existential threats’



Sign up for free insights from your sector…

Support Us...

We hope that you have found this article useful. This section is freely available for all to use. Please help support it by liking us or following us on our social media platforms:

Share this article...


For updated Sport, Leisure and Tourism insights please follow us on @DJS_Leisure or use our RSS feed

Other Sport, Leisure and Tourism Research Findings

Other Latest Market Research Insights

© DJS Research 2021